Wednesday, May 6, 2015

THE oatmeal raisin cookie


I found it. I really, truly found it. I found the best oatmeal raisin cookie recipe. As an avid baker I have often been stumped by oatmeal raisin cookies. It seems like every time I set out to make them I never have to right kind of oats rolled? old fashioned? quick-cooking? instant?. It's like some curse was cast on me so that I am always ill prepared for this kind of cookie; this is not the case for chocolate chip - I always find the ingredients for chocolate chip, regardless of who's kitchen I'm in. And if by some miracle I do find all the right ingredients the cookies look great fresh out of the oven and then immediately flatten into some lumpy, dark mound, moist mess which are impossible to remove from the sheet either because A) they have spread out so far they are not one giant gooey mass, or B) they disintegrate instantly upon contacting the spatula to place them on the cooking rack.

So what's different about this recipe? There is one ingredient that solves all the road blocks stopping my oatmeal raisin cookies from obtaining perfection: corn syrup. Now I know it's not the most popular pantry staple out there with some of the recent health crazes out there but it's one tablespoon and it seriously works plus, you're eating a cookie, if you really wanted to be healthy you'd be having an apple instead. The corn syrup helps keep these cookies soft and chewy for several days and creates an incredible texture for the perfect cookie.

Try them for yourself, the proof is in the cookie.



THE Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tbls corn syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups oats (I did 50% quick cooking and 50% old fashioned)
  • 1 cup raisins

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
In bowl of stand mixer, combine butter, shortening, and sugars. When evenly mixed together add in eggs, corn syrup and vanilla. 
Slowly add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. 
Finally, mix in the oats and raisins.
Drop cookies onto baking sheet, flatten out slightly if you prefer a less mounded cookie, and bake for 9 minutes until edges are just golden brown.
Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 2 minutes and then move them to a cooling rack by 'cooling rack' I mean your hand where you can immediately begin enjoying every morsel.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment